Emergency Dispatches | Marion County Record


Broadcasts on these fire and ambulance calls were monitored last week by the newspaper:


00:08 – An 83-year-old man who fell in a home on the 400 block of Briarwood Lane in Hillsboro was helped but refused to be taken to hospital by Hillsboro ambulance.

6:08 – Hotspots from a rekindled ditch fire at 70th and Pawnee Rds. were knocked down within 40 minutes by Peabody firefighters.

11:17 a.m. — Three people injured in a head-on collision between a car and a tow truck near Mustang Rd. and US-50 were taken by Marion, Hillsboro and Peabody ambulances to Wesley Medical Center, Wichita. Ambulance helicopters were dispatched but canceled after being delayed by high winds. Peabody firefighters remained at the scene for nearly five hours. A Tampa ambulance and a rescue ambulance in Marion were put on standby to handle any further calls.

12:23 p.m. — Burns Firefighters spent 3 1/2 hours assisting El Dorado Firefighters in Butler County.

12:34 p.m. – Steaming cow patties from a previous grass fire near 360th and Old Mill Rds. were extinguished within an hour by Ramona firefighters.

2:51 p.m. — A stubble fire that spread to a brush pile and fence west of K-15 on 80th Highway. was brought under control after approximately 1h30 by Goessel and Hillsboro firefighters.

2:54 p.m. – Responding to a call covered by other transmissions on both log monitoring systems, the Hillsboro ambulance took a patient to Herington Hospital.

5:52 p.m. – A 73-year-old man taking blood thinners and suffering from rectal bleeding at the Indian Guide Terrace apartments in Peabody refused help from the Peabody ambulance, even though paramedics described his condition as life-threatening. As a result, Marion’s ambulance, which had also been dispatched, ignored the call.

6:43 p.m. –A 76-year-old woman complaining of chest pain and labored breathing at a residence in the 200 block of N. Vine St. in Peabody refused to be taken to hospital by Peabody ambulance, even though paramedics described his condition as life-threatening. -threatening.

9:20 p.m. — Goessel firefighters spent nearly three hours battling a fire in Harvey County.


2h31 — A 14-year-old patient with appendicitis at St. Luke’s Hospital, Marion, was transferred by Marion’s ambulance to NMC Health, formerly Newton Medical Center.


00:26 – Before Hillsboro firefighters arrived on the scene, an alarm company told them to ignore a fire alarm at Parkside Homes in Hillsboro.

6:20 a.m. – An unexplained medical alarm was reportedly activated by a 98-year-old woman at a residence near 20th and Wagonwheel Rd. was determined by Burns first responders to be a false alarm. As a result, Peabody’s ambulance and an ambulance supervisor from Marion were ordered to ignore the call.

6:06 p.m. – Marion paramedics refused a request from a statewide transfer system to take a patient from St. Luke’s to a hospital in Kansas City. St. Luke was asked to arrange unspecified alternate transportation.

8:47 p.m. –An unconscious, pale man struggling to breathe at a residence on US-77 just south of 1st Street outside Lincolnville has been determined to have signed a do-not-resuscitate order. A coroner was summoned by Lincolnville first responders even before Marion’s ambulance and an ambulance shift supervisor from Marion reached the house.

9:50 p.m. – After nearly half an hour of searching, a “decently large” fire, originally reported to be one mile south of K-150 and Wagonwheel Rd., just east of Marion, was located by the Marion Fire Department as an already controlled burn 18 miles away at 60th and Timber Rds., midway between Florence and Burns, east of Peabody. Firefighters speculated that US-50 was mistakenly reported as K-150 when initially called.


9:19 — A 97-year-old woman who fell and possibly injured her hip at Sunrise Townhomes in Marion was taken to St. Luke’s by Marion’s ambulance.

2:09 p.m. – Tampa firefighters took no action after being alerted that a property owner, calling to notify dispatchers of a controlled burn, had previously illegally ignited a brush pile two miles south of Tampa.

2:16 p.m. — A grass fire that got out of control at 20th and Mustang Rds. was brought under control within 20 minutes by Peabody firefighters.

2:29 p.m. – Burns firefighters helped fight fires near Cassoday and Towanda in Butler County.

9:12 p.m. — A 68-year-old man with heart problems was transferred by Hillsboro ambulance from Hillsboro Community Hospital to Salina Regional Health Center.


7:41 am — A man who thought his appendix had burst at the heated Marion County Lake Fishing Pier was taken to St. Luke’s by Marion’s ambulance.

12:04 – Hillsboro ambulance was called to assist HCH staff with a patient who allegedly suffered a seizure in a car there. Seven minutes later, attendants reported that HCH staff had told them they would not be needed.


8:02 – A 70-year-old woman who fell out of bed at Parkside Homes in Hillsboro was taken to HCH by a Hillsboro ambulance.

5:01 p.m. – At the request of a doctor, a 65-year-old man with respiratory problems was transferred by Hillsboro ambulance from Bethesda Home, Goessel. The ambulance’s original destination was NMC Health, but shortly before arrival, attendants escalated the call to a life-threatening emergency and changed their destination to Wesley. Goessel’s first responders were notified but did not respond.

5:47 p.m. – A 90-year-old woman who is unresponsive but breathing at Salem Home in Hillsboro was transferred to HCH by Marion Ambulance, replacing Hillsboro Ambulance.

7:06 p.m. – A 56-year-old man with difficulty breathing in the 200 block of W. Main Street in Burns was taken by Marion ambulance to NMC Health. Burns’ first responders examined the patient before the ambulance arrived and determined that his condition was life-threatening.

8:38 p.m. – Hillsboro Ambulance has announced it will be transferring an HCH patient to Kansas Heart Hospital, Wichita.


No supervised fire or ambulance dispatches except for training drills for Marion and Peabody firefighters.

Comments are closed.